Mobile friendly website is a necessity. Why? you ask! Google has announced that it will be ranking the websites based on how mobile friendly it is. Which means if a website is not mobile friendly, there will be a decrease in search engine rankings. Besides, mobile Internet usage has increased with the passage of time. About more than 50% of the traffic comes from mobile devices. Making your website more mobile friendly will not only give a good search engine ranking but will also help in staying ahead in the competition.
Today, everyone has smart phones which is used as constant means of communication and looking for information. The number of smart phones have even surpassed the number of personal computers and so having a mobile-friendly website has become a critical part of gaining on-line presence.
Here are some tips on how to make your website Mobile-Friendly:
1. Responsive Web Design: Responsive design allows website developers to create a site that will be easily viewable on different sizes of devices. The responsive design approach makes use of flexible layouts, flexible images, and CSS media queries. Using a responsive design on a website will help the web page to detect the viewer’s screen size and orientation and will change the layout accordingly.
2. Mobile Friendly Design: A mobile friendly design will be perfectly functional on any handheld phone, smartphone or tablets.
3. Don’t Make a separate Mobile-Friendly Website: The best way to save time would be not to cut out the content fit for mobile use. Instead, create a content that fits perfectly well for your mobile as well as your website.
4. Use appropriate Font size and button size: Button and font sizes also play a very important role for mobile devices. You should consider to use 12px font size in case of labels and forums and 14px otherwise. In this case the user will not have to zoom the screen to read the content as it will be easier for them to read without readjusting the screen. The bigger the button, the less will be the chance hat user will miss it or hit the wrong one. This will help you maximize your user’s experience on mobile devices.
5. Use high-resolution images : High resolution images are very important for a responsive website as they ensure high standard user experience. The latest smartphones have high definition screens that require an image double the resolution of a desktop.
One must also keep in mind to choose impactful images that are not complex at smaller sizes. Make sure that you upload the images that are sized properly and that the proportion of the image is appropriate.
6. Focus on Simple Designs : Things that are large and complicated will inevitably become slow on a mobile device. Simple designs make it easy to keep the user’s attention on the content you want them to see. Mobile users have short attention spans, so it is really important to keep things simple than investing on an elaborated complex theme.
7. Don’t Use Flash : First of all, mobile devices do not support Flash. Flash is an obsolete technology and is not very prevalent now, not even on desktop. You can switch to a compatible technology like HTML and in case you want to do something complicated, it’s best to relegate it o the realm of apps.
8. Never stop testing : Once you have created a mobile responsive website, test it. Keep testing it again and again on various mobile devices multiple times. Test it on an iPhone, an Android phone, Windows Phone and various tablets. Test every page, buttons, user actions. Put yourself in the position of a user or you may also ask someone who has not helped you to design it to test it for you.
Finally, we have one more design tip to share with you: remember your directions. The average desktop is a horizontal screen where users my scroll up and down but it’s also wide. Smartphones are tall and narrow and so the width of your content is an important thing to consider. Whether you’re creating drop-down menus, adding pictures, or playing a video, remember the direction of the device and how people will view the content.
Hopefully, these tips will provide you sufficient guidance on how to make your website more mobile friendly and bring lots of traffic to your website.